Friday, February 18, 2011

49/365: Feb 18

Well, it seems like a lot of my posts right now are photography related. It's no different today. ;)

One of the first things I was told & I read about when getting a DSLR was the on camera flash is junk. One of the best things you can spend your money on is a external flash unit. Well, I have my eye on the SB-600... but that's $200 that I am going to have to save up. But I don't want the to ruin my pictures, especially when I need to use the flash!

Well, today I went to a local camera store (for those living in the SV area, I went to Landmark Photo... not a particular favorite shop to visit... but we don't have any other options for specialty camera stores in our small city) and asked about diffusers for a pop up flash. His solution... was FREE!
Just an film tube. Huh! Who would have thought!?! So.. all you have to do is pop off the top, cut off the bottom, and slice a straight line down the tube.....
Easy enough.... now the real test..... seeing if it works!
1st picture. Without diffuser

2nd picture. With diffuser.
WOW! There really is a difference! Notice in the first photo that Rebekah's features are a bit washed out, as well as the pattern in the chair. Now look at the second photo again... Rebekah's face has much more natural tones and the photo isn't washed out at all.


It may not look as pretty as some other products out there you can buy... but for free... well, you can't beat it!!!
My take..... It's BRILLIANT!!! I look forward to using this more in the future! Definitely something I will make sure I have thrown in my camera bag "just in case"!

1 comment: