Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hush Puppies

Some of you know that I *adore* cooking. I am no master chef, by any means... but I enjoy finding new recipies and making most of my food from scratch. Well, I've been wanting hush puppies for awhile now, but the only place in town I knew of to get them closed down awhile back.
Looking through the cabinets trying to figure out what to make, I saw a container of cornmeal, and the urge for hush puppies hit full force. So I went to my trusty "cookbook" that's not really a cookbook at all. I have a love affair with the website allrecipies.com I looked through a few recipies and decided what to comine to make my own version...
This is what I came up with......

3 c. Yellow Corn Meal
1 c. All-Purpose Flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 ts. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
2 tsp. season salt
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. water
1 sm onion; minced (although I think it could have used more onion)
1 egg; beaten

Heat oil to 365 degrees...
Mix the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and spices. Add milk and water, mix well. Then mix in egg & onion.

*note* the batter should not be "soupy" if it looks too wet add a little more corn meal
Drop (I use a tsp sized ice cream scoop) batter into hot oil and cook until golden brown (and floating).

Serve hot!!!
Maker beware..... this recipe yields a LOT of puppies!!

If anyone actually tries this recipe, let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment